Ideas For Beach Day Play
July 14, 2022Blog
Beach Day Play
By: Hope James, PT, DPT
Summer time in South Carolina means more beach days! A day at the beach is the perfect opportunity for some great gross motor play. Try out these fun ideas:
- Jumping over shallow waves: This is a great way to work on leg strength and timing.
- Crab walks races: Bellies up to the sky, on your mark, get set go!
- Follow the line: Have your child help draw lines in the sand to follow with their feet. Try straight, swirls, and zig zags.
- Dig a hole: Grab a shovel and encourage your child to stay in standing to dig or build in the sand. Can they carry a bucket of water to fill a moat?
- Sand hop scotch: Grab a shell and draw a course to practice hopping and jumping